BIRTH YEAR READING CHALLENGE
What books were published the year you were born? This challenge encourages you to find out, and then read some of them. You might even draw some conclusions about what was going on in the literary world that year.
Ready to join? Leave a comment and a link to your post! (And we promise no one will make any snarky comments about your age.)
1. Join anytime between now and November 30, 2010. The challenge ends at midnight EST on December 31, 2010.
2. Books may come from your TBR pile or list, but they don’t have to.
3. Overlaps with other challenges are allowed and encouraged.
4. Change your list at any time.
5. Reviews and reactions are encouraged, but you don’t need to have a blog to participate.
6. All genres and formats are eligible. If it’s a book, you can count it.
7. One candle is awarded for each qualifying book you read. There is no limit on how few or how many candles you can earn.
When you meet your reading goal, we’ll let you select a book from our library – most likely a gently used trade paperback – and mail it to you. But keep reading because . . .
C.S. (host: not eligible for prizes) (see comments for list)
Hip Chick of Hip Chick's Home
Christina of Readers of Romance (see comments for list)
maryt/theteach of Work of the Poet
J.G. (host: not eligible for prizes)
Julie of My Book Retreat
Stephanie V of Hookin', Knittin' & Livin'
Here's my list for my birth year*:
A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith (Harper)
Strange Fruit by Lillian Smith (Reynal)
Razor's Edge by Somerset Maugham (Doubleday)
Green Dolphin Street by Elizabeth Goudge (Coward-McCann)
Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor (MacMillan)
The Green Years by A. J. Cronin (Little, Brown)
A Bell for Adano by John Hersey (Pulitzer Prize Winner)
Thanks, Hip Chick, for introducing me to this challenge!