Tuesday, August 29, 2006

A Letter to Lionel (WABC-NY Radio talk show host)


Aug. 29, 2006
Lionel,

I think you're bullshittin' us about the "Survivor" show. And even though I think this, I lie there at night in my bed and get annoyed with you when you start that stuff about people being too sensitive. You know darn well that the people who will watch that Survivor show where different ethnic groups will be PITTED against one another, will be yelling pejorative words that stand for the various ethnic backgrounds of the contestants.

Now I know you and I wouldn't do that...we've long gotten those terrible epithets out of our vocabulary but there are a LOT of people who still use the n-word, and the ch-word, and the sp-word. And in the excitement of the moment watching that show I guarantee you that those words will come out. The EASIEST thing is to categorize people by their physical characteristics...that's why we needed a Civil Rights Movement.

Besides I think you're doing this to just get a rise out of us. Come on tell us or tell me in an e-mail. Oh and btw I'm publishing this letter on my blog: http://workofthepoet.blogspot.com/ Come take a look! I'll be listening tonight! I love your show!
maryt (the teach)

No comments: