Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Monochrome Monday on Wednesday



Photobucket
looking east

Photobucket
looking west

Adriana Farmiga
cenotaph*, 2008
Wood, fiberglass, clothing, paint, **paverpol
12' 7' 7'
Socrates Sculpture Park, Long Island City, N.Y.

This park is filled with contemporary art and sculpture. This sculpture is unusual because it is exactly the same front and back. I posted the two photos I took so you could see that.

*cenotaph: a sepulchral monument erected in memory of a deceased person whose body is buried elsewhere.
**paverpol: used in fabric sculpting

theteach

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an extraordinary work and who is the memorial for?

Catherine said...

That's a great idea ! I mean the sculpture and the picture for Monochrome. It couldn't be better in color.
I love this unusual idea to create a double "face" sculpture.

♥ Kathy said...

How awesome! I was so um dumb lol for a minute because I couldn't figure it out. I slowed down and read though (amazing how that works isn't it?) and I really think it's cool!

magiceye said...

amazing!!

Robin said...

The front and the back are the same? That is wild, I love it.

SandyCarlson said...

So does he know if he's coming or going?

EG CameraGirl said...

Fascinating! Now I want to see it from the side. (Ha! Only kidding.)

Anonymous said...

I'm a bit slow, but then when I scrolled down I got it.

I guess I need more coffee...Happy Wednesday!

Carver said...

That's such interesting sculpture. Great shots Mary.

Patti said...

It's the same front and back? Wow, that's creative!!

Jackie said...

That is the first time I have ever seen one like this. thank you for sharing this with us.

What a remarkable piece of work. also I finally got your site added to my blog roll.

About time I know...sorry I just never thought to do it until now because of the badges.

You have so many awesome shares this week for us.

Now I'm off to catch up on RT.:-)

Thanks,
Jackie

storyteller said...

Wonderful idea and perspective in these photos! I finally participated for the first time in Monochrome Monday at Small Reflections this week but haven't had time to visit until today.
Hugs and blessings,