Sunday, April 11, 2010

Shadow Shot Sunday

Tracy of Hey Harriet is the host of Shadow Shot Sunday

Photobucket

My photo today comes from Woodlawn Cemetery in the Bronx, N.Y. I visited the cemetery in the Winter and promised myself I'd come back in the Spring.

This is the Clarence Day (1874-1935) Memorial. Day is the author of "Life with Father" and "Life with Mother" books.
"Life with Father" detailed humorous episodes in Day's family's life, centering on his domineering father, during the 1890s in New York City. Scenes from the book, along with its 1932 prequel, God and my Father, and its posthumous 1937 sequel, Life with Mother, were the basis for a 1939 play by Howard Lindsay and Russell Crouse, which became one of Broadway's longest-running, non-musical hits. In 1947—the year the play ended on Broadway—William Powell and Irene Dunne portrayed Day's parents in the film of the same name. Life with Father co-starred a young Elizabeth Taylor and an even younger Martin Milner (later one of the two police-officer stars of the 1968 TV series Adam-12), and received Oscar nominations for cinematography, art direction, musical score and best actor (Powell). Life with Father also became a popular 1953–1955 television sitcom.

Tracy posts a lovely gallery of Shadow Shots from the previous week at her blog. Go visit.


13 comments:

Dianne said...

that's beautiful Mary, even more so framed by the trees

Laura said...

:)

Sylvia K said...

I love it, Mary! Lovely shadows, beautiful sculpture and like Dianne, I love that it's framed by the trees! Hope you have a great day and and a wonderful week!

Sylvia

Kim, USA said...

Like it, very interesting to know who is behind this monument. Thanks for the info!

SSS-Curved shadow

Ralph said...

I see a lovely look at a mother teaching or perhaps comforting her son. She seems to have that look of how to make the most of that moment with a child, they usually always have the right answer a child in any sort of situation - moms always are right...

Mimi said...

Lovely mother-and-son sculpture.
And the trees and blue sky in the background do enhance it.

Unknown said...

That's interesting. I've never photographed the tombstone of a famous person before.

BTW, it was fun seeing my Yard Art captures run along on the slide show! It adds to the fun!

Unknown said...

P.S. My SS post is on my visit to the Emily Dickinson Museum - tied into NPMonth. Hope you can have a look! :->

Anonymous said...

I love how the tree acts as the frame in this. Well done my friend :)

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Clarence Day still sits
at his mother’s feet, gleaning
wisdom for writing.

Hey Harriet said...

A lovely photo and I really enjoyed reading about the monument too! Have yourself a great week!

♥ Kathy said...

That is beautiful Mary! I'm late getting to read blogs but I'm finally here! Happy Monday :)

Explore Germany said...

a very interesting monument! i love stuffs like this!