Sunday, October 18, 2009

Take This Tune - Cole Porter



Oh Jamie, your meme, TAKE THIS TUNE, is marvelous and this time more than marvelous!

You posted Cole Porter's song, "Down in the Depth's on the 90th Floor," one I'd never heard of. But as I searched the 'net and looked on YouTube, I began to realize that I know the words to just about every other song of Porter's and I can't imagine why I do.

Did my mother play his songs all the time? No I don't think so. Maybe his songs were on the radio a lot? No, my radio days were filled with Elvis and the 4 Seasons, and the Big Bopper...

Well, however I came to know the songs and the lyrics I had a ball singing with Ella Fitzgerald, Mitzi Gaynor and Cary Grant all those toe-tappin' tunes.

Kevin Kline played Cole Porter in a relatively recent film (2004) called De-Lovely, and here he is teaching John Barrowman how to sing "Night and Day."



What a fantastic clip! I'm on my way to Netflix right now to rent the film again. I'll have an evening of singing at the top of my lungs. Ah, my poor husband...

Thanks again Jamie! I love playing your meme!



"Night and Day" lyrics:

Night and day, you are the one
Only you beneath the moon or under the sun
Whether near to me, or far
Its no matter darling where you are
I think of you

Day and night, night and day, why is it so
That this longing for you follows wherever I go
In the roaring traffics boom
In the silence of my lonely room
I think of you

Day and night, night and day
Under the hide of me
Theres an oh such a hungry yearning burning inside of me
And this torment wont be through
Until you let me spend my life making love to you

Day and night, night and day

6 comments:

Durward Discussion said...

De-Lovely was the first time I saw John Barrowman. Then came the pleasant surprise of him turning up on Doctor Who and then Torchwood. Unfortunately, he only sang on Torchwood once, but there are CDs and several stage show clips on You Tube.

Thank you for participating in Take This Tune. I hope your husband forgives me. :-)

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I think I could sing along pretty well to all those songs also. I just love that type of music. I also love Kevin Kline so I'm going to have to seek out that movie.

Anonymous said...

I love Cole Porter's songs.

Putz said...

oh yeah, the big bopper richardson, and buddy holly, sand little ricky valens, all dead from that plane, oh boy do i miss them alll

Travis Cody said...

These songs just seem to be part of the fabric of American music. They are timeless.

Patti said...

That was de-lightful and de-lovely, Mary. Ralph and I will have to rent the movie.

I love Cole Porter, George Gershwin...etc.!

thanks for sharing!!