Tuesday, June 09, 2009

The White Duck

Photobucket

Photobucket

I came upon this white duck this afternoon sitting on the grass at the side of Oakland Pond in Bayside Queens. As I approached, he/she didn't move and continued not to move as I came within 5 feet. She let me take these photos.

"Quack, quack--my little loves!

Quack, quack--my turtle-doves!

I brought you up with grief and pain,

And now before my eyes you're slain.

I gave you always of the best;

I kept you warm in my soft nest.

I loved and watched you day and night--

You were my joy, my one delight."

(from The White Duck in The Yellow Fairy Book,

edited by Andrew Lang)


~PLEASE SCROLL DOWN FOR MONOCHROME WEEKLY THEME~

10 comments:

Queen-Size funny bone said...

quack, quack

Mo and The Purries said...

I think her name is Milk N. Quackers.
Great pictures!

Anonymous said...

Lovely duck. My mother-in-law when visiting us in the USA was always amazed how we here see the ducks like a pretty things when she only sees them as things that should be cooked and stuffed with soar croft :)

SandyCarlson said...

A lovely, friendly beautiful neighbor!

Rinkly Rimes said...

When I was a child in England adults often called children 'little ducks' or 'ducky' so they must inspire affection.

Jim said...

A 1950 song that made the top 40, maybe 10, "There's a little white duck sitting in the water" comes to mind here.
Most ducks aren't very clean, your surely is. :-)
..

Anonymous said...

Wonderful picture :)

Desert Songbird said...

Maybe she's nesting?

Travis Cody said...

I hope it wasn't injured. I'll just assume it sensed that you were a friendly human.

Geraldine said...

Quack...what a lovely bird!