Sunday, June 07, 2009

Manic Monday - Shine

Mo's word for today is SHINE.

Have any of you ever heard of EARTHSHINE?

A crescent moon with Earthshine over Yosemite National Park in October 2004.
Photo credit: Andy Skinner.

When you think of Leonardo Da Vinci, you probably think of the Mona Lisa or 16th-century submarines or, maybe, a certain suspenseful novel. That's old school. From now on, think of the Moon.

Little-known to most, one of Leonardo's finest works is not a painting or an invention, but rather something from astronomy: He solved the ancient riddle of Earthshine.

You can see Earthshine whenever there's a crescent Moon on the horizon at sunset. Look between the horns of the crescent for a ghostly image of the full Moon. That's Earthshine.

Go over to Manic Monday for other participants.


Thom said...

Mahali for teaching me something new day. Excellent and the photo was great. Aloha

anthonynorth said...

That was interesting. Never heard of that before.

ellievellie said...

Beautiful! Spooky a little :) Is it an owl on that tree?

Jamie said...

Oh that ocean looks so inviting with the sun shining on the water. Definitely need some ocean.

Mo said...

I don't ever think I've heard that term before, Mary. Thanks for enlightening me on Earthshine!
I appreciate your participation in Manic Mondays!

Desert Songbird said...

I've seen Earthshine, but I never knew it was called that.

That video was fun, though!

Travis said...

I've always loved that image, but I didn't know what it was called. That's way cool!