Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Monochrome Monday on Wednesday



Photobucket

south end of Grand Central Station

Grand Central Terminal (GCT) — often popularly (and erroneously) called Grand Central Station or simply Grand Central — is a terminal station at 42nd Street and Park Avenue in Midtown Manhattan in New York City. Built by and named for the New York Central Railroad in the heyday of American long-distance passenger trains, it is the largest train station in the world by number of platforms:[3] 44, with 67 tracks along them. They are on two levels, both below ground, with 41 tracks on the upper level and 26 on the lower. When the Long Island Rail Road's new station, below the existing levels, opens (see East Side Access), Grand Central will offer a total of 75 tracks and 48 platforms. The terminal covers an area of 48 acres.

The terminal serves commuters traveling on the Metro-North Railroad to Westchester, Putnam, and Dutchess counties in New York State, and Fairfield and New Haven counties in Connecticut.

Although the terminal has been properly called "Grand Central Terminal" since 1913, many people continue to refer to it as "Grand Central Station". Technically, "Grand Central Station" is the name of the nearby post office, as well as the name of a previous rail station on the site, and is also used to refer to a New York City subway station at the same location.

theteachPhotobucket

11 comments:

♥ Kathy said...

Since 1913? So I've called it by the wrong name my entire life. Wow. This was so interesting Mary :)

Mojo said...

So I guess if you're talking about the subway station then I've been using the right name, but the railway station is...

Okay, I get it. I think.

I didn't know it was the largest in the world though. I would've guessed one of the terminals in Mumbai would have topped it. And probably in terms of daily passengers it does. Little known trivia!

Anonymous said...

Certainly 'Grand' - very 'Grand'.

Unknown said...

I will be arriving there on Wednesday. Your picture is a reminder to pay attention and take pictures there.

I hope I don't get wished away before I'm ready. My travel companion is always on the go in the city!

Tink *~*~* said...

There used to be a pair of peregrine falcons that nested up there among the sculptures in the A of the roof. Word had it that they hunted rats with wings, aka pigeons!

Tink *~*~*
NOW PLAYING at My Mobile Adventures *~*~* : “Special” RED Stuff from around Disney’s EPCOT

SandyCarlson said...

I have hereby terminated my use of the term "station" when discussing this unbelievable place!

The Cunning Runt said...

Very cool to know this. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful shot!

magiceye said...

wow! that is huge!!

Robin said...

Fun post for a NY-born amateur photographer who works for an infrastructure engineering firm :).

It'll always be Grand Central Station (or just Grand Central) to me though. Terminal just sounds wrong LOL.

Anonymous said...

ya know, they just don't build buildings like they did back then. Love the bas relief and the "guards" on top.