Wednesday, December 24, 2008

How to Make a Snow Globe





How to Make a Snow Globe
Those delightful balls of water and snow! Now you can make your own.

Things You’ll Need:

Step1
Use a clean glass jar with a lid.
Step2
Choose a clean object to put inside the globe, or make your own. Plastic, aluminum or baked polymer clay are ideal for wet environments.
Step3
Hot-glue the object to the inside of the lid.
Step4
Boil two to three eggs and peel the shells off.
Step5
Use tweezers to remove the skin that sticks to the insides of the shells. That skin will float in your globe if you don't remove it.
Step6
Crush the shells to form snow and put it in the jar.
Step7
Fill the jar with mineral oil. Allow room for the object, which will displace some of the oil.
Step8
Squeeze a strip of silicone sealer around the threads of the lid.
Step9
Screw the lid on tight. You may want to paint it.



Here's a Holiday present from me to you. Click the link and ENJOY!

The Weepies Snowglobe

theteach

13 comments:

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

This sounds like a great project for my students (for next year, of course). Thank you!

Travis Cody said...

That looks very cool!

Wishing you the joys of the season!

SandyCarlson said...

You are amazing, Mary. Thanks for this lesson. Merry Christmas.

Jim said...

Hi Mary, those are great! What grade do you teach? Oh yes, it was college.

I will show my grand daughter your home made ones tomorrow. She collects them from places she or family has visited.
Last June she had 23, search my blog for snow globe to see them.

Merry Christmas! And Happy New Year! (Hint, Sunday Mrs. Jim and I bought new swim suits.)
..

Napaboaniya.Elaine Ling said...

Great project that I should try with both my kiddos :)
Time for bonding and I'm sure the sense of achievement upon completing this project would be priceless! :P

Merry Christmas my dear friend! {HUGS}

Jeff B said...

I'll have to come back by and read further about the snow globe project. The boys would get a kick out of doing it.

Merry Christmas!

Dianne said...

what if you're one of those people whose lid is just not screwed on tight enough! ;)

Merry Christmas Mary

storyteller said...

What an intriguing idea ... if I was still teaching kids, I'd definitely do this one. Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas to you and yours!
Hugs and blessings,

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Mary!

May your Christmas celebrations be filled with peace, hugs, good food, lovely prezzies, lots of warm fuzzy moments and all those marvellous things that make Christmas so special!

Felisol said...

Dear teach Mary,
I'll have to save this recipe for next Advent's workshops.
Just ingenious.
I had a snowman in a square box 52 years ago. Still miss it.
Happy prolonged Christmas from Felisol

Anne Fannie said...

Wow Mary, what a great post and idea! Sounds like a great little fun project to do with my Grandkids one day!
Thanks for sharing....
~Ann

Dora said...

Wow! So smart of U! Can give me one? ;p

Happy Holidays to U and ur family. :)

Julie said...

Wow! Those are WAY cool. Especially the tall narrow one with the pine tree inside! I really like them all!