Monday, September 22, 2008

56th Fighter Group

Our family went to a very unusual restaurant this weekend for brunch.

A visit to the 56th Fighter Group will transport you back to an era of Big Band music and World War II. This charming 1917 French Style Allied Headquarters Farmhouse sits on the site where the P47 fighter aircraft was built during WWII. The rustic timbered ceilings and cozy dining rooms boast seven fireplaces and a romantic view of the runway of Republic Airport in the heart of Long Island. You can enjoy an extensive collection of aviation and WWII memorabilia as you dine in the museum-type atmosphere.

The whole time I was there I thought about Sarge Charlie. I know he's a Vietnam Vet but I'm sure he'd be interested in this place so I took plenty of pictures for him to enjoy. Here they are in a slideshow:




Sarge I hope you enjoy the slideshow.


The 56th Fighter Group is located in East Farmingdale, Long Island, New York, at Republic Airport.

theteach

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary! I wasn't able to post for the Ruby Tuesday last week because I was sick. But I'm participating this week! I hope it's alright. :)

Nice photos! Be back later!~

Suzie said...

Looks like fun

storyteller said...

Interesting experience … reminds me of a similar restaurant here in Orange County, CA that I ate at decades ago. ‘Kewl’ slide show!
Hugs and blessings,

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

I've been to one in Chicago once....and that one at Republic also.

Anonymous said...

that was awesome! I'll bet it was fun! Sounds like my kind of place.

Desert Songbird said...

Nice photos. There was a similar one in WP, FL (I think it was the 391st Bomb Group), and there's another one in Cleveland. I think they are all named after different military divisions.

Sarge Charlie said...

This is very cool Miss Teach, thanks for the invite. We have a place somewhat like this in West Palm Beach, maybe not as much as you have here. It is my kind of place.

Travis Cody said...

That is too cool!