Sunday, June 29, 2008

NYC Waterfalls

What a day! We left home at 10 o'clock and cruised into Manhattan in about 20 minutes. We drove down the FDR (the roadway that runs south on the East side of the city right next to the East River. We caught sight of the first waterfall under the Brooklyn Bridge.



The waterfalls are the work of Olafur Eliasson and are/is funded by the City of New York and the Public Art Fund. In order to find out how the waterfalls work click here.

There were no crowds that early on a Sunday morning. Almost all the New York Restaurants had set up stands for tasting and buying morning pastries and coffee. It was a most pleasurable time! I created a slide show so you could see all the pictures I had so much fun taking.

Enjoy!





theteach

16 comments:

Sandee said...

How fun. What a great adventure. Beautiful honey. Have a great day. :)

Lew said...

When NYC does something, they do it in grand style! You got some good shots of Eliasson's creation. Washington Post did a story on the water falls this week.

Mo and The Purries said...

So cool - I didn't realize you lived that close to Manhattan!
Glad you got to go, and then share cool pics with us!

Julie said...

This is what makes blogging so fun! Getting to see things through the eyes of a fellow blogger! Thanks for sharing! Was the noise pounding? When did the falls open and how many are there?

What a grand time you must have had!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so glad you got to go today! :)

You got some great shots.

Anonymous said...

WOW! That waterfall is amazing! Thanks for sharing. I hadn't even heard of it. And you do take lovely photos!

LA Nickers said...

That's cool!

WINGING IT, at Practically at Home

sgreerpitt said...

Thanks so much for sharing. I'd read about this project when the planning was first begun. It's interesting to see the fruition of it.

Putz said...

did you spend all that time and energy just to bring me that picture of a waterfall or is sundays squirt a theme of your's also???

San said...

Just Friday I heard a story on NPR about these waterfalls. I was thinking how cool it would be to see them. And now I walk over to your blog from Raven's in search of a wordzzle. Didn't find the wordzzle, but I got to see the waterfalls. Thank you!

Did you do the wordzzle or am I confused? Did you not do the wordzzle or am I confused? Did you do the wordzzle or am I not confused? Did you not do the wordzzle or am I not confused?

Waterfalls play with my head.

Karen Coutu said...

That must have been just amazing to see in person! Great photos!! I can almost hear the sounds of the water falling.

RW said...

Wow that is awesome Mary! Love the photos!!

SandyCarlson said...

Excellent, Mary!

Trish ~ ♥ ~ said...

I'm heading in to see them in August. Thanks for the preview.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

I had not heard of this project...as Lew said...when our city does something they do it in grand style...

Thanks for sharing.

Travis Cody said...

That is just too cool!