Tuesday, November 07, 2006


There are only 2 things you need to do today:

Go out and vote and read the essay by E. L. Doctorow at jacksonbrowne.com

I'll be back...
______________________________________________________
1:04 PM
Here are some quotes from Doctorow's essay:

I fault this president (George W. Bush) for not knowing what death is.

He does not mourn. He doesn't understand why he should mourn.

How then can he mourn? To mourn is to express regret and he regrets nothing.

He does not regret that his bungled plan for the war's aftermath has made of his mission-accomplished a disaster. He does not regret that rather than controlling terrorism his war in Iraq has licensed it.
_______________________________________________________
6:30 PM

I went to vote at 6 o'clock. There were very few people there. I was number 73 for the day. I got into a conversation after someone say me reading the sign that said "translator available" in both English and Spanish.

"Isn't that ridiculous?" she said.

"Well, no I said. If a citizen who has come to vote (maybe for the first time) and has trouble with English, it's a good thing there's a translator for him/her.

"They'll never learn English that way" she said.

"Maybe, or maybe not" I said, "but their children who go to the public schools, will learn, and by the time they grow up to have families. they will speak English very well, in the same way that earlier immigrants and their children learned before them."

Whenever I get into a conversation like this it usually disintegrates into complaining about how so may people in the supermarkets, or gas stations, or nail salons, don't understand a word you say, so I said I had to go in and vote.

By the time I went to bed it looked like a Democratic rout, so I was happy. :) the teach


No comments: