Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Apologies


I was driving home in my car today and as usual I had 820 AM WNYC (my NPR) on the radio. There was a report that the Pope reiterated to Turkey that he was sorry that Muslims misinterpreted what he said two weeks ago in Germany. (See my post on "The Answers to the Questions)

Why is it that the Pope can't say "I'M SORRY I SAID THOSE INFLAMMATORY THINGS. I WASN'T THINKING." Why is it that he and others like him (George Bush, for one) can't directly apologize but has to put the onus on the other guy for MISINTERPRETING what was said.

The Muslims didn't misinterpret what the Pope said (or what George Bush says, or what Rumsfeld says) they know exactly what he said. And it was insensitive and inflammatory.

What makes officials in the West feel they are above apologizing to countries in the Middle East (or ANYWHERE) when they say or do something unacceptable or terrible.

And is it so hard to say I'm sorry?

It's only people who can't admit to mistakes who can't say I'm sorry. It's only people who never think they are wrong who can't apologize. It's only people with HUGE egos who can't apologize. It's only obstinate, insensitive, perverse, stubborn people who can't apologize or admit wrong-doing. the teach

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with everything you have said. President Clinton was criticized by the Republicans when he apologized in Africa for not doing more. They feel it shows weakness.
Jean

Anonymous said...

When will Islam apologize for the sheer number of radical, facist terrorists it creates every day? When will it apologize for the Beruit bombing, the first WTC attack, the embassy bombings, the USS Cole, 9/11, the Madrid bombing, the London bombing...?