Monday, September 11, 2006

911 5th Anniversary

What hasn't been said about 911? People blame God, they hate him, others pray to him for their loved ones.

When my nephew went off to the Iraq War I asked "Why?" That he, my nephew, would be killed in that war would be unconscionable. Because he COULD be killed (he wasn't and is home safe and sound), because the people were killed in 911, I believe, if there is a God, he wasn't paying attention. Or he's, like the gods of Rome and Greece, playing and watching and not taking things here on earth seriously.

So now where does that leave us for explanations? FATE. That terrible word meaning "something that unavoidably befalls a person; fortune; lot." It's a word that says there isn't anyone guiding, controlling, watching, anything in this world.
Things happen. Can we live with that? I have to.

On that day my husband was in the World Trade Center. He didn't die. He walked all the way home to Queens. He was covered with dust. From the moment I heard about the planes I held my breath. I kept saying silently "Please, please, please, please...) At 1 o'clock in the afternoon he called me on my cell. "Mary I'm all right." I couldn't speak, I cried. Did God save my husband? And not save almost 3000 others? No, I don't think so. It was simply FATE.

Things happen.

The rabbi chanting on the TV on Channel 13 takes the 911 calls of that day and puts them to a Torah chant. Simple and beautiful. But he says that's all there is. Is someone out there? It certainly gives solace to many to think there is. I didn't need solace on that day. My loved one came home.

- my words for the 5th anniversary of 911.

No comments: